I’m sure you’ve heard more than once that you don’t need that much money to start an online business. You just have to make sure you know what you wanna do, make a plan and get it rolling. The only thing you really need is time. A lot of time. And that’s where the problem begins. How are you supposed to start your own business when you have no time AT ALL? How are you going to quit your job if you don’t have a single day to – at least – start planning? Wouldn’t it be awesome to have a magic wand and create some time?
Well, sometimes we think we have no time, but we may just not be using it to our full advantage. You know, we get so caught up with the “big picture,” that we can only get overwhelmed at the thought of starting a business. The thing is – although you shouldn’t lose the big picture out of sight -, you’re going to be working on many different tasks which you can manage without going crazy. Let me explain with these easy baby steps:
4 steps to plan how to start your own business
- Make a list of everything you need to do to start your business.
- Write a number next to each task, where 1 has the biggest priority.
- Now, take the very first task and chunk it down to smaller tasks you can get done in 30 minutes.
- Take your planner out, and block one 30-minute task every day of the week!
While one big task may seem impossible to accomplish, having it broken down into several small tasks on the other side, will let you feel you’re in control of your time! I know, I know, easier said than done, right? You still think that you don’t even have 30 minutes a day! So let me give you a couple of examples to “create time” to start your own business! It’s going to sound like a very dull life you’re going to have for a couple of months, but it’s not forever – and you do want to work on your own, right?
10 ideas to create time to start your own business
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier, and get your task done first thing in the morning. Or, if you’re rather a night owl like me, go to bed 30 minutes later.
- Skip your coffee break, and use that time to get one more thing off your plate – with your fave coffee mug, of course 😉
- Unplug from Facebook, Instagram or whichever social media which sucks your time.
- Say bye-bye to Netflix, Hulu, Sling or – you know – TV in general.
- Do you have to wait 1 hour for your daughter’s gym class every Tuesday? Now you know what to do during that boring hour 😉
- Use your commuting time! If you don’t drive yourself, read, write, plan, you name it!
- If you’re the one driving to work, hear podcasts or use your cell phone to make voice notes.
- If you need to write while driving – please, don’t do that!! -, download the Google Docs app on your cell phone, create a new document, hit on the little microphone on your keyboard, and start talking. You’ll see how everything gets nicely written on your screen!! I mean, you could talk/write a blog post, dictate your to-do list for the week, or record any idea which comes to your mind – and don’t wanna forget!
- Store all your files online. You want to use any available time you may have, so make sure you have access to your files anytime. I use Dropbox, but you can also use Google Drive, for instance. This will let you work from any device!
- If you have your kids at home, check out these survival steps for work-at-home moms 😉
I could go on giving you examples to create time to start your own business, but you get it, right? There are just so many moments in our daily life which we could use to get smaller tasks done! You just have to block 30 minutes of your time, AND know what you’re going to do during those 30 minutes! This is highly important! The minute you start your half hour, you have to use it, girl!! So just sit down and get working! You can’t waste any of those 30 golden minutes! What do you say? Do you now feel as though you had a magic wand to create time?
Are you born to freelance?
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Join the Work at Home Bootcamp and start freelancing in 6 weeks!
How would your life be different if you worked from home?